Daniel Boulud’s column in the April issue of ELLE DECOR features a savory, aromatic, and unexpected take on an Easter entrée. The below recipe for a vibrant lamb curry is sure to add exotic flavor to anyone’s table.
LAMB REKHA (INDIAN GREEN CURRY)
- 1 ½ lb. spinach leaves, washed
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ inch piece ginger, peeled and minced (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly ground coriander
- 2 ½ tbsp. freshly ground cumin
- ½ tbsp. kala namak powder (Indian black salt)*
- ½ tbsp. amchoor powder (dried mango powder)*
- ½ tbsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp. ground garam masala*
- 2 lb. boneless lamb shoulder or leg, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 3 plum tomatoes cut in large dice
- 5 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- 2 bunches cilantro, leaves chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basmati rice
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and have a bowl of ice water ready. Boil spinach for 3 minutes, or until tender. Strain and transfer to the ice water to chill.
2) Place the half-and-half in a small pot over high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring. Strain and squeeze the spinach dry; transfer to a blender with the hot half-and-half. Puree until smooth and bright green; season to taste with salt and pepper, and refrigerate.
3) Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or casserole over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, until aromatic but not browned.
4) Add the onions and continue to cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent. Add the coriander, cumin, kala namak, amchoor, cayenne, and garam masala. Continue to cook, stirring, until the spices become fragrant.
5) Reduce heat to medium low. Add the lamb and stir until well coated in the spices. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until lamb is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
6) Add the sea salt and enough water to cover ¾ of the contents of the pot. Add tomatoes, stir to combine, cover, and cook at a very low simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours (or until the lamb is fork-tender.)
7) Remove from heat, and add 4 tbsp. of yogurt, the spinach puree, and cilantro. Stir well and check seasoning; adjust if needed. Top with remaining yogurt and serve over basmati rice.
*Spices can be purchased at www.kalustyans.com.
Disclosure: Content and images provided by Hearst Magazines.
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Tiny Prints Christmas Deals (30% off Coupon Code) – December 17, 2014
- Tiny Prints Super Shipping Deal ends 12-17 + 30% off Coupon Code – December 16, 2014
- Customized Phone Case Deals for Christmas 2014 #tinyprints – December 10, 2014